In Scrap: New music from Annihilator, Soulfly, Chris Cornell and Motorhead, bits about Metallica and Rush, Tom Morello forms his own label and the loss of another musician…
Metallica has released a limited-edition box set containing 50 CDs which cover the band's tours of Australia and New Zealand in 2010 and 2013. The set was available for pre-order in April and those orders were shipped this week, yet copies still remain for $395. The box – which features 25 different shows, each on two discs – includes 62 different originals and covers, including rarities like "Dyers Eve", "The God That Failed", "The Call Of Ktulu", "Trapped Under Ice" and others. Meanwhile, the band will be donating all money raised from the sale of downloads of this week’s show at the X Games to the American Red Cross of Central Texas to assist the victims of the recent floods. All formats, including the high definition versions, are being offered at LiveMetallica.com for a mere $5.00 each through July 15.
Get the details
Soulfly will release their tenth studio album, "Archangel", on August 14 via Nuclear Blast. Entertainment. It was produced by Matt Hyde, known for his work with Slayer and Children Of Bodom. A special edition version will include a live DVD of the band from Hellfest 2014.
"Archangel" track listing:
- We Sold Our Souls To Metal
- Ishtar Rising
- Live Life Hard!
- Bethlehem's Blood
- Mother Of Dragons
- You Suffer (Bonus tracks for CD/DVD special edition)
- Acosador Nocturno (Bonus tracks for CD/DVD special edition)
- Soulfly X (Bonus tracks for CD/DVD special edition)
Bonus DVD: "Live At Hellfest 2014" (special edition only)
- Cannibal Holocaust
- Back To The Primitive
- Seek 'N' Strike
- Rise Of The Fallen
- Roots Bloody Roots
- Jumpdafuckup/Eye For An Eye
Guitarist Tom Morello has launched his own record label called Firebrand, with Ryan Harvey of the Riot-Folk Collective. According to reports, the label’s aim is to promote artists which are politically active and themed, or as he told Rolling Stone, "one-stop shopping for all your rebel-music needs. It's the kind of label that I wish had existed my entire artistic life." The first release was a digital sampler of music by Harvey and activist musicians like Egyptian revolutionary Ramy Essam, San Francisco’s Built For The Sea, Swedish punks Lycka Till and Bronx-based post-rock singer Bell's Roar. The guitarist said about the roster on his label, "Firebrand artists are black, white, Arab, Jewish, men, women, queer, straight, folk, punk, hard rock, hip-hop, but they all have one thing in common: They play music with a sense of purpose to create a more just planet."
Rush will film both of their hometown Toronto performances — on June 17 and June 19 at the Air Canada Centre — for future release. It marks the first time in almost 20 years since they filmed a show in Canada; that was during 1997’s "Test For Echo" tour at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre on the tour. Prior to that, they recorded the legendary "Exit…Stage Left" at Massey Hall in 1980
Motorhead will release a new album titled "Bad Magic" on August 28. According to a press release, the band wrote and recorded in the studio together – a first for the current line-up – and the result gave the album more of a ‘live’ feel. The album features a guest appearance by Brian May on the track “The Devil” and it closes with a remake of the Rolling Stone’s classic “Sympathy For The Devil." The band will kick off a North American tour with Anthrax in August, which ends with the now-legendary Motörboat cruise between September 28 and October 2 from Miami, Florida to Nassau in the Bahamas.
"Bad Magic" track listing:
- Victory Or Die
- Thunder & Lightning
- Fire Storm Hotel
- Shoot Out All Of Your Lights
- The Devil
- Evil Eye
- Teach Them How To Bleed
- Till The End
- Tell Me Who To Kill
- Choking On Your Screams
- When The Sky Comes Looking For You
- Sympathy For The Devil
More acts have been added to Def Leppard’s inaugural "Hysteria On The High Seas"; it will feature performances by Tom Keifer, Kip Winger, Eric Martin, Richie Kotzen and Last In Line, the latter of which feature Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell and former members of Dio. The cruise will sail January 21-25, 2016. Tickets and more details are available at www.defleppardcruise.com.
Chris Cornell has announced a North American solo acoustic tour to support his forthcoming new album
titled "Higher Truth", which comes out on September 18. The show, which stops at the Beacon Theater on October 18, will be unplugged, up close and personal featuring songs spanning his entire career.
$1 from every ticket sold will go to the Chris And Vicky Cornell Foundation, a charitable organization that supports children facing homelessness, poverty, abuse or neglect.
Chris Cornell 2015 solo acoustic tour dates:
- Sep. 20 - Walt Disney Concert Hall - Los Angeles, CA
- Sep. 21 - Warner Grand Theatre - San Pedro, CA
- Sep. 23 - Granada Theater - Santa Barbara, CA
- Sep. 24 - Wells Fargo Center For The Arts - Santa Rosa, CA
- Sep. 26 - Paramount Theater - Oakland, CA
- Sep. 27 - Gallo Center For The Arts - Modesto, CA
- Sep. 29 - Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA
- Sep. 30 - Orpheum Theatre - Vancouver, BC
- Oct. 02 - Paramount Theatre - Denver, CO
- Oct. 03 - Stiefel Theatre For The Performing Arts - Salina, KS
- Oct. 05 - State Theatre - Minneapolis, MN
- Oct. 06 - Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL
- Oct. 08 - Lakewood Civic Auditorium - Lakewood, OH
- Oct. 09 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON
- Oct. 11 - University At Buffalo - Center For The Arts - Buffalo, NY
- Oct. 12 - State Theatre - New Brunswick, NJ
- Oct. 14 - Strathmore Music Theatre - N. Bethesda, MD
- Oct. 15 - Merriam Theatre - Philadelphia, PA
- Oct. 17 - Kirby Center For The Performing Arts - Wilkes Barre, PA
- Oct. 18 - Beacon Theatre - New York, NY
- Oct. 21 - Shubert Theater - Boston, MA
- Oct. 23 - Grand Opera House - Wilmington, DE
- Oct. 24 - Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center - York, PA
- Oct. 26 - Atlanta Symphony Hall - Atlanta, GA
- Oct. 27 - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN
- Oct. 29 - The Knight Concert Hall - Miami, FL
- Oct. 30 - The Mahaffey Theater - St Petersburg, FL
- Nov. 01 - The Majestic Theatre - Dallas, TX
- Nov. 02 - Austin City Limits Live At The Moody Theater - Austin, TX
Annihilator will release their fifteenth studio album, "Suicide Society", on September 18 via UDR Music.
The album marks mainman Jeff Waters’ return to doing lead vocals; Dave Padden, who had fronted the band since 2003, left late last year in order to spend more time with family, leaving Waters another task as he already handled all songwriting duties, played all guitar and bass, engineered, produced, mixed and mastered the album.
"Suicide Society" track listing:
- Suicide Society
- My Revenge
- Creepin' Again
- Narcotic Avenue
- The One You Serve
- Break, Enter
- Death Scent
- Every Minute
We are sorry to report that Allan Fryer, the frontman for the Australian band Heaven, passed away earlier this week after a long battle with cancer. The band, who best known for the tracks “In The Beginning” and their cover of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", released three albums — "Twilight Of Mischief" (1982), "Where Angels Fear To Tread" (1983) and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" (1985) — and toured throughout the United States during the 1980s. Most of the band reunited a few years ago for an Australian tour. On a side note, Fryer auditioned for AC/DC following the death of Bon Scott, and came very close to getting the gig, but lost out to Brian Johnson. The vocalist was 60 years old.